On Wednesday, our friends from the PD, Duncan and Jodi, welcomed their newest addition, Fern Bluff Cadence Red to their family's farm.
I'm not entirely sure about cow name lineage, but many of Duncan and Jodi's cow's names begin with the letter "C" and have been named after females (or female spouses or kids) at the PD. There have been Carlee (PD wife), Cami (PD wife), Christa (officer), and now Cadence. :) (I think the names has to do with the cows being Holsteins, Heffers....)
After a busy day of gymming, drinking coffee at Starbucks, playing on the swings, and hitting the winery......
...we were excited to hear from Duncan and Jodi that they were up for visitors and had graciously invited us to meet bovine Cadence and give her a bottle. (Who gets to do that?!)
We asked Cade if she wanted to meet some cows and she replied, "yes", but was more responsive to us asking if she wanted to see a baby (cow) and give it a bottle, to which she eagerly responded "yes" and said and signed "help" (since she likes to help with Baby Naomi).
After nap we headed to Monroe where we were warmly welcomed and handed bottles to head to the barn with. Cadence was excited to see Paige and Connor who are 2 and 5 (ish) and was excited to wave to some of the larger cows in the field and yell "moo" at them.
Having never really been close to a calf, I didn't know what to expect. Part of me thought that I'd see some dainty and wobbly little thing, and boy was I wrong! Cadence the cow is around 130 lbs at 5 days old and is very tall! Duncan and Jodi led us to the barn where Cadence is for the next few days and let us feed her a bottle. FYI, feeding a cow a bottles is similar to feeding a baby a bottle except they'll ram into you when they want more. Toddler Cadence was happy to see bovine Cadence but didn't quite understand that they had the same name. She continued to happily moo and observe the other cows in the barn while staying close to Matt and I. I always let her help give Naomi a bottle but for fear of a cow smooshing my child, Matt and I handled the bottle feeding. I also learned today that cows like to pacify and suck on fingers AND that they don't have teeth on the top of their mouths. (no children or cows were harmed in the taking of the following pictures).
Not only did Cadence get to meet a Cadence, she got to ride a cow and she was very happy to do so. Matt and I are thrilled to provide such amazing experiences for our little girl. Although her memories of riding Porcelain won't really exist, we're excited to have so many great pictures and stories for her. I don't recal being able to ride a cow and watch a calf be bottle fed when I was a kid.
| Little farmer |
| Cadence and Cadence |
| Cadence kisses Cadence |
| Wee pacifying cow Cadence |
| Cow kisses tickle |
| Petting Porcelain |
| Riding a cow can be very funny |
| "Hi Mama, I'm on a cow!" |



No comments:
Post a Comment