Thursday, December 24, 2009

Kindness of strangers, holiday style

When I dragged myself out of bed this morning, my first thoughts were: I want to stay in bed, its cold outside, boypump is too early (0830!), I don't want to go to work tonight and tomorrow, I wish Matt were at home and not at work. Complaints complaints complains.

After finishing up a great work out, and teaching the squat track, I was not only glad I had gotten up and out of bed and to the gym on time, since class was earlier than normal, I had extra time to eliptical, and work legs, back, and triceps just a bit more. Gift #1, the gift of time.

With the gift of time, I deided to run a few errands to get some last minute things from the drug store and to get some goodies at Starbucks.

Upon arriving at Starbucks, I was so happy to be in the warm store, its 30 degrees outside. There was a woman, clearly homeless, with all of her belongings, leaning up against the wall, fast asleep at a table. I ached for her. This woman is obviously down on her luck, likely through no fault of her own, and here she is, with everything she owns next to her, and dressed in a garbage bag as a wind breaker. Starbucks must have been the only warm place where she could rest. I bought my gift cards and a cup and bought her a sandwich and snacks. I figured it was the least I could do, afterall, it is the holiday season.

I was so touched by the generousity of others when I put the food in front of the sleeping woman. I wasn't the only one who had the idea to make a kind gesture. There was a warm cup of coffee, $20, and a Starbuck giftcard. I guess there are some good people in the world, even in my own backyard.

I suppose the moral of this story is to be thankful and show some kindness. Here I was bitching about getting out of my warm bed, and this woman didn't even have that. I complained about having to work Christmas Eve and Christmas day, instead of being with my 2 families, when the reality is, I spend my day with my work family then my 2 others, whereas, who knows where this woman will be. Wherever it is, I hope some more people show her kindness, whether its Christmas or not.

Happy Holidays to all. Christmas posts to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment